[WikiEN-l] Admin Power Abuse

Philip Welch wikipedia at philwelch.net
Sat Mar 4 20:35:56 UTC 2006

On Mar 3, 2006, at 4:00 AM, Bacchante Maenad wrote:

> Almost immediately after creating account for what would be my
> first time
> editing wikipedia an admin blocked me indefinitely.
>
> username : Let's Get High And Edit Wikipedia
> IP : 69.60.118.148
> Reason given "stoner..." by
> "*Freakofnurture<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Freakofnurture>"
> *
>
> This admin describes himself as pissed off and also proudly displays a
> widget that says he does not do any drugs.  I had the impression,
> perhaps
> wrongly so, that wikipedia was supposed to be more of an open
> atmosphere
> where there isn't such a heavy hand with admin powers.  In other
> words, a
> place where someone's first visit isn't met with an insult (stoner) by
> someone claiming to be angry, pissed off and a judeofacist
> (whatever that
> is, but it doesn't sound too nice).  I really do not see what the
> problem
> with my username is.  It is silly, perhaps, but not offensive.
>
> Thank you

I'd like to take this opportunity to admonish Freakofnurture for
biting a newbie. That said, I don't think his user name is really
that offensive or problematic either, but I don't feel strongly
enough to think we should accept it. Still, username aside, we
definitely need to do something to make this user feel comfortable
and welcome again.

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch