[WikiEN-l] An alternative to "critics"

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 14:30:15 UTC 2006

I've never much liked sentences that start "Critics argue that...".
Here's an alternative I saw at [[Tied Test]]:

--
Some commentators believed Chappell should have taken Snedden's word
that the catch was good.

I find this to be more natural, less contrived, and more NPOV.
"Critics" seems to imply that the people had it in for the subject of
the article for some reason. "Commentators" is much more neutral -
just (presumably somewhat notable) people who expressed an opinion on
the event.

Any opinions? Other alternatives to the infamous "critics"?

Steve