[WikiEN-l] Dead wikipedians and how to really make a project boring to death

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Jul 30 18:32:35 UTC 2006

On 7/29/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29/07/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > And while we're at it, we should either remove [[Image:Wikimedia.png]]
> > from the User namespace or examine why policy allows that one too.
> > Allowing that one in the User namespace is just plain old hypocrisy.
>
> I entirely agree. I'm guessing a logo is fully copyrighted so that
> others can't use it to masquerade as us? I can't really think of a
> compromise though between copyrighting logos and allowing users to
> display them.

I believe the logos aren't freely licensed because releasing it under
a free copyright license could be seen as a waiver of the trademark
rights.  Of course the fact that the copyright of most of the logos
were originally held by someone other than Wikimedia would seem to
negate that argument in those situations.  If "The Cuncator" (sorry, I
don't know his name) and/or David Friedland released their logo
designs into the public domain, that couldn't possibly impact
Wikimedia's trademark rights.

Anyway, while I'd love to see the logo released under a free license,
I'd be more willing to accept that it isn't if it was treated under
the same rules.

Anthony