[WikiEN-l] Accented characters (was Re: fancruft)

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 23:48:53 UTC 2006

On 29/07/06, John Lyden <rasputinaxp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still roughly confused as to why some people are pilloried for
> applying [[Wikipedia:Naming conventions (use English)]] to hockey
> players.

Although many letters with diacritics *look* like English letters,
they are not the same. "Antonín Dvořák" can't simply be changed into
"Antonin Dvorak" because this would be changing the letters of the
word, so changing the spelling of the word. In this name, changing "ř"
would be particularly problematic as the letter is quite distinct from
"r" in several ways (most importantly, pronounciation).
--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)