[WikiEN-l] Common sense exceptions to our copyright policy.

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat Jul 29 12:13:51 UTC 2006

On 7/29/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve Bennett wrote:
> > On 7/28/06, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I am strongly in support of taking action to reduce the amount of
> >> copyright outrageous violations that we get...   But I think it would
> >> be self defeating to implement any policy which discourages real
> >> contribution.   There must be some solution which simultaneously
> >> curtails copyright violation (or at least its impact) and encourages
> >> contribution.
> >
> > How about a middle ground:
> > 1) By default, any logged in user can upload any image they themselves
> > have produced. (some way of discouraging them from uploading any other
> > images needs to be found)
> > 2) "Confirmed" users, preferably those who have uploaded 3 or 4 of
> > their own images, can upload copyrighted images for fair use.
> >

> I hate to spoil your fun, but what is going to stop people from just
> claiming "Yes, I made this" on every random image they get from
> Flickr/Photobucket/Google images?

If you upload enough random images from Flickr/Photobucket/Google,
you're bound to get caught.  And once you get caught blatantly lying,
all your images should become highly suspect.

Of course, "fair use images" don't really require you to trust anyone,
so if anything *they* should be the ones that any user can upload.

Ultimately I think the best "solution" is the same one that's used for
text.  Assume good faith, require references, and get rid of the
policy violations as much as possible.

Anthony