[WikiEN-l] Uploading images should be a privilige, not a right

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 16:42:31 UTC 2006

On 7/26/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I understand it, under French (and possibly also German) law a
> content creator has "moral rights" (ie. right to attribution) even after
> copyright expires, which are (somehow) part of the copyright law.

"Moral rights" don't usually include the right to force others to
attribute you, but they include the right to attribute yourself. For
example, you write some open source code for company X. They own the
copyright. You have moral rights. You can go to company Y and tell
them "I wrote that awesome code". They ask for a copy. You say "sorry,
that would violate X's copyright".

Steve