[WikiEN-l] Categories for deletion/discussion issues

Richard Holton richholton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 22:52:01 UTC 2006

> Richard Holton wrote:
>

> >I'd say that definition is unusual, even in the US. In common usage, a
> >limited-access highway is a divided highway, with no cross roads--instead
> >using on & off ramps.
> >
> Limited access highway would probably be understood generically in most
> of the US, but the term  would not normally be used in the context,
> "Take the limited access highway to get there."  Instead people would
> say, "Take the freeway (or expressway, or Interstate, or turnpike
> according to local custom)."

<chuckle> I talk that way all the time, don't you? You're correct, or
course, (virtually) no one talks that way, but as you say, most would
understand the term.

>The USGS offers this common-sense definition:
> >Limited Access Highway: A route that is part of the United States
> Interstate
> >Highway System or other similar expressway.
> >(http://www-atlas.usgs.gov/metadata/roadtrl020.faq.html)
> >
> That definition would be US-centric

Guily as charged. I wasn't really trying to find a non-US-centric
definition, but rather attempting to demonstrate that the odd secondary
defintion given several e-mails ago isn't the common understanding in the
US.

> >In fact, "expressway" seems like a good synonym (to my very US-centric
> >ears).
> >
> I don't think that its usage is uniform throughout the USA.

Given the other responses, you seem to be correct.

Perhaps we need to stay away from any of the regional/national/continental
terms for the category name. We don't need to create a neologism--we could
use a short descriptive phrase that gives a hint as to the meaning, and rely
on text on the category page to clarify.

Something like "Ramped roads", though I'm sure others will have better
ideas.

Rich Holton
--

[[W:en:User:Rholton]]