[WikiEN-l] Uploading images should be a privilige, not a right

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jul 24 07:59:53 UTC 2006

Anthony wrote:

>On 7/21/06, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Here's one: when people send in a DMCA takedown notice, remove the
>>>material, notify the uploader that her materials have been removed
>>>(via their talk page and email if the address is known), and provide
>>>them with an opportunity to send a written notice to the service
>>>provider stating that the material has been wrongly removed.  If the
>>>uploader provides a proper "counter-notice" claiming that the material
>>>does not infringe copyrights, then promptly notify the claiming party
>>>of the individual's objection.  However, only restore the image if
>>>there is also a consensus that the image is "free enough" within the
>>>project's guidelines.
>>>
>>>Anthony
>>>

>>I'm not sure the DMCA system exists under England and Wales law and
>>the evidece suggests the courts will think wikipedia is within their
>>juristiction. You are reduced to gambleing on their being no way for
>>the foundation to suffer any monitery hurt from the uk.
>>
>>What about the Netherlands? Or france? Or Korea. Do they follow the DMCA system?
>>

>Fair enough.  Of course, short of shutting down the Internet (or at
>least refusing to serve content to countries with ridiculous copyright
>laws), I'm not sure what can be done.

In the absence of some willingness to confront these issues, we keep
issuing our own judgements against ourselves.  This can only lead to
being bogged down in a legal web of our own making.  We don't need to
defend every last claim of copyvio that comes along, but showing a litle
courage would be nice.

Ec