[WikiEN-l] fancruft

Michael Hopcroft michael at mphpress.com
Sat Jul 22 16:36:45 UTC 2006

Anthony wrote:
> On 7/21/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:

>>> The only way I can see needing original research to come up with a plot
>>> synopsis would be to go on set and observe the filming of the show, or
>>> maybe personally interview the scriptwriter or something. Once the
>>> show's been broadcast or put on DVD it's a published primary source.
>>>

>> It's a primary source on what?  Not on itself.
>>

>>> I think we're at the point where we're just repeating ourselves at each
>>> other, but I'm about to leave on vacation so someone else will have to
>>> take over repeating for me here. :)
>>>
> This is somewhat confusing to me, because it seems so obvious to me
> that watching a TV show and then writing about it is original
> research.  Anyway, here's what I found about what is a primary source:

Yet defining it as such creates innumerable practical problems when
doing articles on television and film.

There is also a logical contraction: you seem to be asking people to
write articles on movies and TV shows they HAVE NOT SEEN, which of
course is as much a total absurdity as asking a literary scholar to
write a thesis on novels and plays he has never himself read, based
solely on previously-existing external scholarship. The idea is
unrealistic nearly to the point of psychotic detachment.