[WikiEN-l] fancruft

Michael Hopcroft michael at mphpress.com
Fri Jul 21 15:56:38 UTC 2006

Bryan Derksen wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
>
>> There are a number of reasons to do this.  One is that it helps lessen
>> the amount of "fancruft".
>>

> First it behooves to demonstrate what's actually wrong with "fancruft"
> before trying to come up with arbitrary limitations intended to reduce it.
>
> For quite a while now I've been using Wikipedia first before IMDB when I want to know whether a movie or TV show is worth watching, a synopsis is rather important in that regard.

As anyone who's been in a college literature course can tell you, there
are many important things to ask about any work of art that go well
beyond what happened in it and who was involved in tis creation. "why is
this important?" "why do people talk about it, and what about it do they
discuss?" "what does it mean, both intrinsically and in the context of
the times and situation in which it was created?" "what reasons do those
who dislike or dismiss it have for doing so, and how valid are those
reasons today?" "has the way the work has been percieved changed
signficantly between the time in which it was created and now?" The same
can be said in many respects for the creators of a work; "Why was
Shakespeare?" and "Why does Shakespeare matter?" are even more vital
questions for a scholar (and encyclopedia writing is an essentially
scholarly exercise) as "Who was Shakespeare?"

There are many things that would be readily accepted in an article about
Macbeth that would dismissed as "fancruft" in an article about The
Sopranos -- but there is no fundamental difference between the purpose
of those two articles. None at all. "Why does The Sopranos matter?" is
just as important a question as "Why does Macbeth matter?", just as "Why
is The Sopranos the way it is?" is just as important a question as "Why
did Shakespeare write macbeth the way he did?". Just because a work is
newer, is less mainstream, or is more poorly regarded in the mainstream
does not make it any less worthy of this sort of examination. Sometimes
quite the contrary, at times: if one is writing an article on Plan Nine
from Outer Space, the low-budget science-fiction film of legendary
shoddy awfulness, it is important to provide some reason WHY it is worth
talking about -- as an example of delusional hubris on the part of the
idiot auteur Ed Wood, or perhaps as an example of the perseverance and
improvisation that enabled Wood to complete the film in the face of
innumerable obstacles like the death of his only remotely qualified actor.

Meanwhile, many wikipedia writers seem to be letting relatively minor
things occupy more of their attention -- not because those things should
not be included, but because they stop with them and do not go any
further. I find this most common the biographies of actors, particularly
LGBT actors. The last time I checked the article on Raymond Burr, one of
the most significant actors in early American television, the only point
mentioned other than a bare stub was his homosexuality -- a fact that,
while worth noting, is utterly irrelevant to his legacy or, for that
matter, to what made raymiond Burr a significant figure. Although if you
want to examine the life of Raymond Burr his sexuality would matter, the
article must still answer the question "Why is Raymond Burr important?
What did he do and what did it mean? How is the world different than it
would have been had Raymond Burr not existed?"

To partly answer that question: Burr matters because he was one of the
first true "TV stars", because he had a knack for combining gravity with
subtle humor which brought to vivid life one of the seminal characters
of the medium of television, and his charisma enabled him to trancend
the mold of the "leading man" stereotype of the era -- helping prove in
the process that the new and not-well-respected medium WAS worthy of the
attentions of a serious actor. In short, if you want to understand the
way mass media developed in the United States, Raymond Burr is VERY
important. Yet only his sexuality was considered important by whoever
did his wikipedia article (unless it has been edited further since I I
read it).

When writing a pop-culture article, even a stub I wish would be
completed by others, I have made a practice of showing, as best I could,
exactly what about my topic is significant. Because anyone who
approaches editing cultural Wikipedia with any degree of serious should
realize that they ARE scholars -- even if they're scholars of the
Collected works of CLAMP rather than The Collected Works of George Orwell.