[WikiEN-l] insist on sources

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 20 03:35:08 UTC 2006

Garion96 wrote:

> A counter example. I recently requested a source on the fact that a
> person
> (living person) is blind. (Not Stevie Wonder). But it was deemed so
> obvious
> that it was ixnayed. Correct or wrong? My sentiment is that even if it
> is so
> obvious, why not source it anyway.

The fact that the person is blind may be common knowledge, but it's
inadequate information. A proper treatment would need to address whether
they were born blind, or how they became blind. That kind of detail
needs a source, and it follows that it also serves as a source for the
more general fact.

If all you've got is obvious information that doesn't require a source,
then you haven't got an encyclopedia article.

--Michael Snow