[WikiEN-l] insist on sources

Garion96 garion96 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 20:42:35 UTC 2006

On 7/19/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me give you an example. If I were writing an article on a drug and
> I included the sentence "tyrosine is an amino acid", I would be
> expressing a relation that is learnt in secondary education. It being
> an amino acid is the first thing anyone would learn about tyrosine. Is
> this reference worthy?
>
> > There is no such thing as over-referencing. There is no such thing as
> > "common knowledge" regarding encyclopedic content. If it feels "common
> > knowledge", it may be lacking relevancy at least in a certain context.
> >
> > Mathias
>
> --
> Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)

A counter example. I recently requested a source on the fact that a person
(living person) is blind. (Not Stevie Wonder). But it was deemed so obvious
that it was ixnayed. Correct or wrong? My sentiment is that even if it is so
obvious, why not source it anyway.

To Oldak Quill, please don't top-post.

Garion