[WikiEN-l] fancruft

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 20:34:06 UTC 2006

On 7/19/06, Guettarda <guettarda at gmail.com> wrote:
> But, but...I remember that from Friends, doesn't my memory count as a
> reliable source?  Can't I just go to the DVD and look it up?  I think that
> almost every TV or movie-related article violates WP:NOR.  And that's a real
> problem.  They even have templates for TV shows that are currently ongoing.
> It's nice to be able to find out what you've missed when you walk in
> half-way through an episode of 24, but it's a complete policy violation...

That no source was provided is a problem, but it's not the problem.

The inclusion of sub-trivia on our articles damages is a waste of
reader time, an insult to our editors, and a cause of damage to our
professional image... It's also a magnet for potential vandalism,
especially if we'll tolerate it without citation.

If it's not notable enough to mention it (and other cases like it) in
the article on the TV show, it's certainly not notable enough to go
into other articles.