[WikiEN-l] Borderline notable bios (yes, again)

Keith Old keithold at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 19:21:02 UTC 2006

On 7/17/06, Keith Old <keithold at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/17/06, Ilmari Karonen <nospam at vyznev.net> wrote:
> >
> > Keith Old wrote:

> > > Where is the evidence that a lot of people want to know about him?
> >
> > http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22brian+peppers%22
> >
> > For some comparisons:
> >

> > http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22brian+peppers%22%2C%22linus+torvalds%22
> > http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22brian+peppers%22%2C%22ghyslain+raza%22
> > http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22brian+peppers%22%2C%22jimmy+wales%22%2C%22john+seigenthaler%22
> >

> > As it happens, we do have a fairly reasonable entry on Peppers in [[List
> > of Internet phenomena]]; it says:
> >
> > "Brian Peppers — An Ohio sex offender with a facial malformity whose
> > photo in the Ohio eSORN (Electronic Sex Offender Registration and
> > Notification) database became widespread. Snopes has since confirmed the
> > photograph to be real [8]"
> >
> > I think much of the perpetual debate surrounding the issue could be
> > alleviated simply by replacing the "this page is deleted" notice
> > currently at [[Brian Peppers]] with a redirect to [[List of Internet
> > phenomena]].  That way, we wouldn't be telling every single person who
> > googles for the name that "HEY, LOOK, WIKIPEDIA USED TO HAVE AN ARTICLE
> > ABOUT THIS GUY BUT IT WAS DELETED BECAUSE JIMBO SAID SO! SEE!"
> >
> > Of course, the other alternative would be to fix MediaWiki so that we
> > can _actually_ protect a deleted page, rather than having to fake it
> > with a template saying, in effect, "This page is intentionally blank."
> > This would be a desirable feature in general, and I hope to see it
> > implemented some day in any case, whether by me or by someone else.
> > It's not even particularly complicated, it just happens to require some
> > significant changes to the database schema.
> >
> > (I'm cc'ing this directly to Jimbo, since I'd like to hear his personal
> > opinion on this.  Of course, I could just be bold and make the page a
> > redirect myself, but in my experience this is one of the situations
> > where such a change, if done unilaterally, would be likely to be quickly
> > reverted with the summary "no, Jimbo decreed this" regardless of its
> > actual merit or lack thereof.)
> >
> > --
> > Ilmari Karonen
> >

> Ilmari,
>
> Thanks for alerting me to the List of Internet Phenomena.
>
> I will be removing Brian Peppers name from that list as well. My personal
> view is that he is not nearly significant enough to be on that list and we
> should not further attack him by adding him to the list.
>
> I have no doubt that it will be reverted and I won't enter into an edit
> war over it. My view is that the decision was taken by Jimbo to remove
> mention of Brian Peppers for at least a year. My assumption is that this
> included reference to him in other articles.
>

> Regards
>
> Keith Old
> Keith Old

Folks,

I have removed Brian Peppers name from the list although I have no doubt
that the removal will be  temporary.

In my view, this article should be under serious consideration for deletion.
It is a grabbag of unrelated people who are claimed to be Internet phenomena
including Zinedine Zidane, Chuck Norris, Howard Dean and Kim Jong Il who are
allegedly Internet phenomena.

The non-celebrities section should be gone through with a red pen. This is
the section featuring Mr Peppers and there are other entries in there which
are highly problematic in my view.

I am usually a supporter of lists as I consider that they serve a useful
purpose. I fail to see what useful purpose this list serves.

Regards

Keith Old

User:Capitalistroadster