[WikiEN-l] Image statistics -- 374 000+ "fair use" images

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 17:44:20 UTC 2006

On 7/13/06, jkelly at fas.harvard.edu <jkelly at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>   User:Kotepho queried the en: database as of July 4, 2006 to get numbers on
> media we are hosting.  The results are at [[User:Kotepho/reports/Images by
> copyright status statistics]].
>
>   In short, we had the following:
>   853 215 tagged as having a free license
>   374 304 tagged with a variant of "fair use"
>   As a point of comparison, Commons has
>   677 813 media files as of this email's timestamp

Um.

I suspect he's double counting somehow.
A month ago there were only 492,308 *total* image pages on enwiki.

Ditto for his fair use numbers.. about 2x reality from my last
measurements. The commons total looks about right.

I welcome anyone interested in running stats to contact me for a
sanity check on their queries... there are a number of common pitfalls
like  counting directly from the category tables, and failing to
filter for distinct or assuming images will never have a free tag and
a fair use tag at the same time... that can cause incorrect results.