[WikiEN-l] Borderline notable bios (yes, again)

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Jul 12 22:40:00 UTC 2006

Travis Mason-Bushman wrote:
> On 7/12/06 3:09 PM, "Jimmy Wales" <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, the article survived AfD, sensibly enough, even today I notice
>> that Seth has had to revert vandalism *personally*.  I just now
>> semi-protected it.
>
> I'm beginning to think that any article with [[Category:Living people]] in
> it should be semi-protected by default.

Probably not "by default" -- the vast majority of articles are not like
the unusual cases.  And in most cases, semi-protecting the problem ones
is not going to just push the vandalism (of this type) elsewhere.

Two types of vandalism:
1. I am a general purpose idiot and I like to do stupid things on the
Internet.
2. I hate person X with an irrational passion, and I am going to camp
out on their article to make sure it tells the world how awful they are.

The general purpose idiots, I think we have well under control.

The specific haters, we have under control if the subject is George W.
Bush or Bill Gates, because those are popular topics and lots of people
watch them.

If you are a borderline notable person, though... *and* you have a
stalker or are somehow a flame-magnet... then I would say that a liberal
application of semi-protection and *bonking* is worthwhile.

--Jimbo