[WikiEN-l] Borderline notable bios (yes, again)

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Jul 12 21:49:26 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:

>We have Angela (Beesley) on AfD now:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Angela_Beesley_%283rd_nomination%29
>
>The fact that Angela does not want this article to exist has been
>cited as a reason to delete. It looks like this deletion will go
>through.
>
>Two related examples are Seth Finkelstein:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Seth_Finkelstein

These nominations confuse me, because they seem to identify a problem
but then propose a solution other than the obvious one.

In both cases the primary complaint is that the articles contain (or
have at times contained) untrue, misleading, or irrelevant information.
The obvious way to fix that problem is to remove such information, and
make the articles contain only information that is: 1) sourced; 2)
presented neutrally; and 3) of sufficient relevance to be worth
mentioning in an encyclopedia article.

Deleting the articles is of course one way of making sure they contain
no low-quality content, but that seems less direct that simply removing
the low-quality content while keeping the verifiable content.  In Seth's
case, for example, it's undisputed that he formed the Censorware
Project, that he either coined or at least popularized the term
"censorware", and so on.  I see no reason that an article stating these
verifiable and notable facts should be deleted.  If it contains other
nonsense, then that nonsense should be removed, rather than used as an
excuse to delete the entire article.

-Mark