[WikiEN-l] Should we block unregistered AOL users? (was: [Wikitech-l] User block changes)

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 16:38:24 UTC 2006

On 7/12/06, Ilmari Karonen <nospam at vyznev.net> wrote:

> Given the above, would it now be advisable to block the entire AOL proxy
>   pool from editing by unregistered users?  This would have the side
> effect that AOL users would no longer be hit by random autoblocks.

AOL have agreed to set XFF headers for Wikimedia sites, so this won't
be necessary. However, that was a few weeks ago now and I'm not aware
of it having been implemented yet. I'll follow up and see if there's
any response. I suggest holding off on the blocks for a while longer
to see whether we can avoid this.

Angela.