[WikiEN-l] Ken Lay's death prompts confusion on Reuters

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 23:51:01 UTC 2006

On 7/8/06, mboverload <mboverload at gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't say to block them!
>
> The only POSSIBLE way to stop anon users from vandalizing is blocking all of
> them.  Just like the only way to stop registered users from vandalizing is
> blocking all of them.
>
> I stated the obvious.

Mboverload is right... Heck even forget vandalizing, just consider
folks coming by to add their favorite idea or interpretation.
Wikipedia tries to be on the average pretty good, but our model
doesn't try to be good at every instant, in fact it fundamentally
precludes being good at every instant.

Criticisms based on the purely on the churn of a article in the news
are, well, not news. Look at the editing history of any hot subject
(like [[hurricane Katrina]]) and you'll see the same pattern... good
content and bad content are both added, and the bad content tends to
be removed faster than the good content.  The behavior is expected.
Our users should be aware of it (If they aren't, we need to improve
our education)... and it simply isn't going away unless we make a
fundamental change.