[WikiEN-l] Viral swarming teenage vanity spam

Zero megamanzero521 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 5 19:06:01 UTC 2006

Lord Voldemort <lordbishopvoldemort at gmail.com> wrote:  On 7/5/06, Gregory Maxwell  wrote:
> Is every random spammer who hits 'edit' automatically a member of the
> 'community'?
>
> Why would we give automatic suffrage to folks who have not yet
> demonstrated a significant degree of support or even understanding of
> the goals of the project?
>
> Why do I ask?
> Going down the VFD page it would appear that a large number, if not a
> majority, of the 'keep' voters have less than 50 article edits. Some
> have no article edits at all.
>
> Almost any form of edit count or tenure weighing would leave this a
> clear consensus for delete. Even more importantly, the arguments on
> the delete side are far more compelling in my view: for example,
> Thatcher131's observation that "eon8 gets one hit on Google News and
> one hit on Lexis/Nexis; both are blog-related hits based solely on the
> claims of the website itself". With that in mind, how can you claim
> that the article isn't an attempt to spread an idea as opposed to
> merely documenting already popular idea?
>
> This is not the clear cut case of ignoring consensus that you make it out to be.

>>I just think we need to select admins who we can trust to make the
>>decision to take these types of editors into less account than others.
>>Admins are chosen because the community trusts them to be able to
>>determine consensus (along with a few other minor things ;-)).  So we
>>need to make sure the quality of admins remains high.  We need >>admins
>>that are willing to do a little research into the "voters".  And look
>>at the discusison, not just the numbers on either side of the
>>keep/delete line.  Admins that base things on numbers alone should be
>>censured (or some other analogous procedure).  --LV

  That is utter nonsense to say that administrators should not base their  decisons of that of a user's experience, paticularly in mainspace. This  common practice of new editors who have as little as below the 10 edit  mark or the like claim "I know what is best for wikipedia" and "I know  what the encyclopedia is all about." Such opinions should not be taken  seriously. - Randall Brackett