[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's destiny

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 17:00:14 UTC 2006

"Tony Sidaway" <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:605709b90602270833m677b8f47w4d9a5b664859a91c at mail.gmail.com...
> On 2/27/06, Steve Bennett
> <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Am I way of base with believing that uncontroversial information
>> should just be left? Sources are nice, but if everyone agrees that the
>> information is correct, what is to be gained by removing it, or
>> bickering over the quality of the source?
> This seems to ignore the observable fact that, for some Wikipedians,
> deletion of articles on popular culture, or in common parlance,
> "cruft", is seen as an end in itself.  The strategy being followed
> seems to be to systematically raise the verifiability standards to
> exclude online sources, then denude the article of such sources, then
> move to delete the article on the grounds that it is unverifiable.
> Another technique is to browbeat those with whom one disagrees,
> repeating false claims that their opinion may be ignored.
[snip]
> In short, the deletion process continues to be a disgrace and breed
> the worst kind of incivility.

Even better some clowns^Wpeople are now suggesting that since they have
driven some webcomics off to Comixpedia, all the rest can safely follow
them...
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3AArticles_for_deletion%2FNeglected_Mario_Characters&diff=41115907&oldid=41110586
is a fine example.

I find the nominator's habit of jumping all over every single keep vote (bar
one AFAICT) rather offensive also.
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]