[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's destiny

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 27 16:43:51 UTC 2006

"David Gerard" wrote

> (And in my experience as what sociologists use as a primary source
> [music journalism], peer-reviewed academia on pop music is an
> incredibly low-quality source of information or indeed clue.)

That rings true.  I don't particularly want to wade through yards of
well-footnoted stuff on Jimi Hendrix or Captain Beefheart, which is all
drivel and wrong and written by someone who couldn't hum a twelve-bar to
save their life.

You could look at it this way, though.  If WP manages to evolve a credible,
principles model of how to document and categorise and calibrate popular
culture, and exhibitis it in action on its (certainly wide) range of
included topics, then that could be a huge achievement in itself.  One does
have to bear in mind the basic principles: Sturgeon's Law on 90% of
everything; Simon Frith on popular culture being defined by anyone being
allowed their taste in the matter; objections to canon-formation; original
research being the inevitable condition of the author; ephemerality of much
of the interest.

Charles