[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's destiny

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 16:17:54 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:

>>    http://www.english.ufl.edu/imagetext/
>>See what I mean about the dangers of reasoning from personal
>>ignorance? Now I eagerly await objections that don't boil down to "but
>>webcomics are worse for Wikipedia than Pokemon."

>Assuming that was directed at me, then I'm not sure what you mean about
>"the dangers of reasoning from personal ignorance".

I meant the implication that there was not and could not be an actual
academic peer-reviewed journal of webcomics, which has come up a bit
in this thread - that's definitely arguing from personal ignorance.

>I was arguing
>against the general principle that we ought to write novel histories in
>cases where existing ones don't exist.  If in this particular case one
>does exist, then of course that doesn't apply.

Of course. Every crank has fifty references for their original
research stitched together in a novel fashion, but that doesn't make
it not original research.

- d.