[WikiEN-l] Trivia and popular culture sections

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 09:43:59 UTC 2006

On 2/27/06, Daniel P. B. Smith <wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com> wrote:
> > That's an extreme interpretation of that rule. We should shy aware
> > from removing information simply because it is unsourced. We should
> > only remove it if it is unsourced *and* we find it suspect.

> In short, you do not agree with the verifiability policy, http://
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:V

You may see comments from me on the talk page there. I actually think
people reworded it more strongly than they meant to. Verifiability was
never, IMHO, intended to mean "delete everything that isn't sourced",
or else 95% of the encyclopaedia would be wiped tonight. It should be
a way of resolving disputes about accuracy, and improving the quality
of our material.

If the verifiability policy currently says (I can't check it right
now) that all unsourced material should be removed - end of story -
then yes, I disagree with it.

Steve