[WikiEN-l] Trivia and popular culture sections

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Sun Feb 26 20:57:49 UTC 2006

> From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> [mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Guy
> Chapman aka JzG

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:40:53 +1100, you wrote:
>
> >For example, the Latin names of plants and animals are
> boring useless
> >clutter to me, and IMHO, we could make for a better, more
> streamlined,
> >more relevant encyclopaedia by removing such linnaecruft.
> But I'll bet
> >London to a brick that if I started to remove this rubbish,
> one or two
> >people would start getting agitated, saying that this
> unpronounceable,
> >archaic nonsense was useful and interesting.
>
> Mainly because it is the dominant system used by scientists
> to record taxonomy, and is therefore highly relevant
> particularly where common names are ambiguous or vary by location.
> Guy (JzG)

Thanks, Guy! I should have whacked a smiley or two in there. I thought
"linnaecruft" was a dead giveaway. But you see my point? Just because
someone doesn't find arcane information interesting or useful doesn't mean
that everyone sees it that way. We should be careful about removing
information from an article unless we know what we are doing.

Peter (Skyring)