[WikiEN-l] Why trivia and popular culture items need sources

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Sat Feb 25 22:39:50 UTC 2006

An editor took strong exception to my request for sources for
"popular culture" items in the article on the Statue of Liberty. One
of these items was:

"The New York Liberty, New York's professional women's basketball
team, has the Statue of Liberty as their mascot."

The editor said: "The fact that the NY Liberty b-ball team uses the
SoL as its mascot does NOT need an outside citation, for Pete's sake."

I replied that if it was all that obvious it shouldn't be that hard
to paste in a link from the team's website. Since I try to play fair,
I proceeded to go to the team's website myself to get the link.

Well, whaddaya know.

The team's mascot is, in fact, NOT the Statue of Liberty, but a dog
named Maddie, for Madison Square Garden.

According to the source, http://www.wnba.com/liberty/news/
maddie.html , Maddie is a "loveable dog... known for a unique
personality among the Liberty faithful." Now, to be honest, Maddie
does wear a verdigris-colored crown, but you will have to judge for
yourself whether it resembles the statue's; it looks to me much less
spiky, like a green version of the Burger King's crown. In any case,
my opinion is Maddie is quite canine, and not at all statuesque.
Statue-of-Libertyesque? Statue-of-Libertarian?

(The statue is indeed depicted in the team's _logo_, which probably
is why everyone assumes that it must also be the team's _mascot._)