[WikiEN-l] Userboxes: A rational proposal

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 00:14:50 UTC 2006

Steve Summit wrote:
> Alphax wrote:
>
>>The evidence is overwhelmingly that the community (whoever the hell they
>>are) wants a free webhost and "blog buttons" [1] to plaster all over them.
>

> Can you cite that evidence?

A userbox is a piece of code which produces something like:

+-------+--------------------------------+
|       |                                |
|   !   |    This user does blah.        |
|       |                                |
+-------+--------------------------------+

- an image or letter on the left hand side, and some text on the right
hand side. People are encouraged to plaster them all over their
userpages - [[Wikipedia:Userboxes]] has a gigantic list of them, sorted
by category.

A blog button is a small graphic which looks something like
[[Image:Wikipedia button 80x15.png]] - a logo on the left hand side, and
some text on the right hand site. People are encouraged to plaster them
all over their webpages - [1] has a gigantic list of them, sorted by
category; the idea originated at [2]. People have even compliained about
the proliferation of the damn things [3].

"Blog buttons" started out as something useful - an alternative to the
W3C's default HTML validation logo. Userboxes started as an extension to
the Babel templates - first with xx-0 for languages one would not be
expected to speak (eg. Latin), then with programming languages, and we
know where it went from there.

"The community wants a free webhost and blog buttons to plaster all over
their page."

[1] http://gtmcknight.com/buttons/
[2]
http://www.antipixel.com/blog/archives/2002/10/22/steal_these_buttons.html