[WikiEN-l] Trivia and popular culture sections

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 23:24:37 UTC 2006

ObSheesh:

During a guest appearance on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992),
Jay Leno asked him where his name came from, and he replied that he
was named after the Beatles song "Hey Jude." [15 June 2001]

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000179/bio

What makes Wikipedia great is that it doesn't make the arbitrary and
elitist distinction between high and low culture, but democratically
includes information that its audience thinks is of interest.

People should be *VERY HESITANT* about removing information that
others have added. Editing for style, content, readability, utility,
grammar, flow, etc. are all critical but taking knowledge out of
Wikipedia just because you find it uninteresting or unimportant is
arrogant, rude, and destructive to the project.

I love the Wikipedia trivia sections and I love the attitude that says
"if it can be integrated into the text, it doesn't need to be
mentioned as trivia", which I don't even see as a compromise.

Sourcing is critical but the "I'm going to kill it if it isn't
sourced" is a philosophy that should be wielded with UTMOST care.