[WikiEN-l] Trivia and popular culture sections

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Thu Feb 23 10:53:04 UTC 2006

> Subject: [WikiEN-l] "Trivia" sections in articles
> To: wikien-l at Wikipedia.org
>
> They look ugly and unprofessional. Can we get a policy or something to
> suggest that they be renamed "Miscellaneous information" or merged
> into
> the rest of the article?
>
> And while we're at it, can we get rid of "{{PAGENAME}} in popular
> culture" sections?

Much if not all of much of this content is unreferenced. People
apparently just toss in stuff off the top of their head. Like lists,
I think they become a game in which people try to think of something,
anything that isn't there already.

We should be proactive about putting {{unverifiedsect}} tags on these
sections, {{fact}} tags on the unreferenced items, and removing them
after a reasonable period of time and in a fair way. That will go a
long way to solving the problem.

I personally believe these items are valuable and interesting _if
referenced._ Incidentally insisting on reference is also a reasonable
filter against subtrivial cruft; if the Statue of Liberty appears _in
an important way_ in some movie, Ebert or someone is likely to have
mentioned it somewhere; if it is just a cameo appearance to establish
that a ship is approaching New York, nobody is likely to comment on
it outside of a personal blog or forum, and finding a reference will
be hard.