[WikiEN-l] "Trivia" sections in articles

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 23 07:07:31 UTC 2006

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
> Pray tell me how anything to do with (eg.) the Prime Minister of Britain
> is "trivial"???

I can't find a trivia section in either [[Tony Blair]] or [[Prime
Minister of the United Kingdom]]. Working backward chronologically, the
first one I find is for [[Harold Wilson]] and consists of "A popular
urban myth at Oxford University
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_University> states that Wilson's
grade in his final examination was the highest ever recorded up to that
date." Seems pretty trivial to me.

>> Perhaps the question is just how trivial a factoid needs to be to be
>> included. We don't need every little bit of blather.
>>

> So why can't it go into other sections of the article?

He answered this earlier in the email you're responding to:

Putting them all in one section at the end of the
article is the best place for them, because otherwise we would have to find
appropriate places for them in the main body of the text, and it may not
always be easy (or concise) to do this.

Having refactored many an article in the past I agree with this, there's
sometimes stuff that is great to have but which just doesn't seem to fit
anywhere. Later on other sections may develop that provide better homes.