[WikiEN-l] Time to finish this userbox war once and for all

Jesse W jessw at netwood.net
Thu Feb 23 02:46:07 UTC 2006

On Feb 22, 2006, at 1:37 PM, MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> I certainly don't want suggestion 3 to be done. Wikipedians by field of
> interest and any category that shows specific Wikipedian knowledge and
> expertise have a use in the project and would be deleted with this
> suggestion just because a few people have been warring.
No.  They would not.  Wikipedians by field of interest could (and
should) be merged into the WikiProjects list - I've continued to wonder
what benefit it is to know that a wikipedian is a firefox user *if they
are not interested in web brower articles on wikipedia*.  What does
that get us in terms of writing the encyclopedia?

> And what is the use in banning images on userboxes when they are to be
> hardcoded anyway?
To prevent whatlinkshere from being a quick way to generate a list of
people identifying with that statement.  I think this is a little over
the top, but thats the reason.
> How about we get around the table and decide on what type of user
> categorization and boxes would be acceptable?
I think merely basing it on - it has to be useful to writing an
encyclopedia, i.e. it needs a page in the Wikipedia namespace, is
probably sufficient.

See the proposed policy.

Jesse Weinstein