[WikiEN-l] CSD T1, and application to userspace templates

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 20 17:00:53 UTC 2006

John wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_review/Userbox_debates#User:Cjmarsicano.2FUDUIW
>
> This template which I speedied under CSD T1 and pure common sense is
> now on DRV because some process wonks are pointing out...

Whoah.  As near as I can tell, all the UDUIW userbox said was,
"This user is a member of Users in Defense of Userboxes and
Individuality on Wikipedia."  So by suppressing it, we've made
not one but two leaps:

(1) That userboxes can be so dangerous that they need to be
    suppressed, as argued by the oft-repeated incident in
    which a "this user is Catholic" userbox allowed 40+ users
    to rally around the deletion poll for [[Wikipedia:Catholic
    Alliance of wikipedia]].

(2) That suppressing dangerous userboxes is so contentious yet
    so vital that those in support of userboxes need to be
    suppressed also.

I hope I'm not being melodramatic, but this is really starting to
sound like "The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems
will slip through your fingers."

					Steve Summit [[User:Ummit]]
					scs at eskimo.com