[WikiEN-l] "The free encyclopedia that anyone can edit?

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Wed Feb 22 11:40:27 UTC 2006

> From: "Joshua Griisser" <JDGRII8338 at NGCSU.EDU>
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's destiny
>
> I'm almost speechless with rage at Jimbo's unilateral deletion of
> the encyclopedia article [[Brian Peppers]] - not to mention his
> locking (via [[User:Danny]] and [[WP:OFFICE]]) of [[Harry Reid]]
> for *five days*.
>
> As I feared, userboxes have proven to be the canary in the coal
> mine. Now it's articlespace that is being jerked around.
>
> Wikipedia ultimately must decide whether it wants to be Jimbo's
> personal fiefdom, or be "the free encyclopedia that anyone can
> edit". The two are clearly mutually exclusive at this point.

1) It's still free, isn't it?

2) Wikipedia is still an encyclopedia, isn't it? Surely you can have
an encyclopedia without an article on Brian Peppers in it. Many other
encyclopedias get by without such an article.

3) Anyone can still edit Wikipedia, can't they?

4) If this deletion was made "unilaterally" then who are the twenty
or so other sysops who also deleted the page? Are they all Jimbo's
sockpuppets?