[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's destiny

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Wed Feb 22 03:36:01 UTC 2006

G'day Josh,

> I'm almost speechless with rage at Jimbo's unilateral deletion of the
> encyclopedia article [[Brian Peppers]] - not to mention his locking
> (via [[User:Danny]] and [[WP:OFFICE]]) of [[Harry Reid]] for *five
> days*.
>
> As I feared, userboxes have proven to be the canary in the coal mine.
> Now it's articlespace that is being jerked around.
>
> Wikipedia ultimately must decide whether it wants to be Jimbo's
> personal fiefdom, or be "the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit".
> The two are clearly mutually exclusive at this point.

We were just discussing that ... Wikipedia *doesn't* want to be "the
free encyclopaedia that anyone can edit".  There's too much abuse, too
much ranting from trolls with a sense of self-entitlement, encouraged by
that tagline.

I quite like the idea of "Welcome to Wikipedia, where good authors are
always welcome".

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"