[WikiEN-l] GFDL - Have to mention only authors or Wikipedia too?

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Tue Feb 21 15:49:14 UTC 2006

Heinz wrote:

>Of cource citing is always polite and good scientific behavior.
>But my question has a more legal background.
>
>MUST i cite wikipedia - according to GFDL -- or is citing of authors enough?
>
>Heinz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mirrors#License indicates a link
back to the Wikipedia article /may/ suffice as "[acknowledging] the main
authors". Generally the style used to *cite* Wikipedia (not copy its
articles) just attributes the article to something like "Wikipedia
contributors". I'm not familiar with the legal ramifications of the
GFDL, and from the appearance of that page, neither are the fellows who
write our policy on mirrors. :p Just err on the safe side and cite both.

John