[WikiEN-l] GFDL - Have to mention only authors or Wikipedia too?

Mathias Schindler neubau at presroi.de
Tue Feb 21 15:49:29 UTC 2006

Heinz wrote:
> Of cource citing is always polite and good scientific behavior.
> But my question has a more legal background.
>
> MUST i cite wikipedia - according to GFDL -- or is citing of authors enough?

If one author's name is "Wikipedia", you have to cite him or her as well
  for legal reasons. Other than that, you don't have to. If you refer to
"zitieren" in the German legal sense, you don't have to follow the GFDL
at all. However, zitieren is generally more restrictive than fair use.
Citing in the German legal sense would require to name the actual source
of the text: Wikipedia.

Mathias