[WikiEN-l] Jimbo and his strategy

Kirill Lokshin kirill.lokshin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 16:19:04 UTC 2006

On 2/20/06, John Lee <johnleemk at gawab.com> wrote:
> Ben Emmel wrote:
>
> >I think that this is becoming the only viable solution. However, the
> >userboxen supporters are also the loudest in shouting "Cabal, Cabal!!", and
> >hearkening for the ruin of Jimbo. Just today did I see a userbox comparing
> >him to something out of 1984. In short, they deny everything that Jimbo does
> >for the good of Wikipedia.
> >
> >These users greatly lose fact of basic Wikipedia principles: that we are
> >here to build an encyclopedia, that you don't have a right to edit, and
> >don't have an automatic right to "free speech". Truly, we have a sort of
> >Wiki-"generation gap." I don't see an end to these issues any time soon.
> >

> Certainly not when we have former admins proposing the oustre of Jimbo
> ([[User:Karmafist/manifesto]]) and his replacement with an "elected
> executive" whose powers would be limited to managing the servers and
> basically all the crap Jimbo does now, minus any involvement with
> Wikipedia. The newbie disconnect is growing, and people who should know
> better are exacerbating it.

There seems to have been a rash of those in the past few days -
[[User:The Ungovernable Force/manifesto]] is even more extreme -
combined with a number of "Userbox Insurgency"-type userboxes.  The
issue seems to have become less a question of the userboxes themselves
and more one of "sticking it to The Man" (in this case, Jimbo).

Kirill Lokshin