[WikiEN-l] Userboxes: A rational proposal

Philip Welch wikipedia at philwelch.net
Sat Feb 18 00:27:35 UTC 2006

Stop worrying about userboxes and write an encyclopedia already. If
and when userboxes interfere with encyclopedia-writing activities,
react in an appropriately minimalist fashion and proceed with the
encyclopedia-writing.

Quite frankly, the userbox fans are *not* the people disrupting
Wikipedia with an unhealthy fixation with userboxes. This isn't to
say that they don't *have* an unhealthy userbox fixation, but rather,
that they engage in that fixation in a way that doesn't really
prevent the rest of us from writing an encyclopedia.

The people disrupting Wikipedia—that would be us, writing dozens of
messages to this listserv about them. Aren't we the people who
actually care about writing an encyclopedia? Then why don't we do
that, instead of wasting our time compiling statistics about
userboxes, trying to delete them, and debating the right way to do that?

You want to end the userbox war peacefully without screwing up the
community? Repeat after me: "It's not worth it, and I should go
mediate an NPOV dispute or do some research and write one of our
requested articles, or bring an article to FA status instead of
jousting with userbox-happy newbies."

And then actually do it.

--
Philip L. Welch