[WikiEN-l] A thought about "in popular culture" sections

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 18:16:13 UTC 2006

--- Snowspinner <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2006, at 12:47 PM, Fastfission wrote:
> >
> > But I had a recent thought about it. Wouldn't any discussions about
> > the impact or prevalence of something in popular culture need to have
> > been discussed by a secondary source first before it was allowed into
> > an article under WP:NOR?
>
> NOR has long been a bit slippery with fiction, both popular and
> literary. The problem is that by the most hardline interpretation of
> NOR, plot summaries of novels aren't allowed.

That would be a very hard-line interpretation of NOR indeed. A plot summary is
very much like the everyday process of summarising a topic that goes on in
Wikipedia all the time. To summarise, to summarise is not original research.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com