[WikiEN-l] Proposal: Task forces

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 07:22:08 UTC 2006

> So much of this tries to put old whine in new bottles.  It is based on
> the premise that policies should provide unchangeable black and white
> alternatives.  Or that a majority vote creates a policy that will be
> binding on everybody, and remain fairly inflexible.  It sets up
> situations where there are winners and losers, and minimizes the
> opportunities for those losers to seek alternative solutions.

I agree with the whole post. The thing is, Wikipedia, has less need
than any other site for this kind of thing. We actually already have a
group mechanism for updating policy. Our policies are constantly being
reviewed by members of the community and challenged where appropriate.
What would give the "task force" any kind of legitimacy or public
acceptance? Nothing. This whole idea is sort of like selling oranges
next to a public orange tree...

Steve