[WikiEN-l] Tracking banned user Andrew Morrow

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 11:22:28 UTC 2006

Karl Krueger wrote:
On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 05:29:15PM +0000, David Gerard wrote:

>> So if I revert all and remake the good edits, the good edits stay in
>> Wikipedia but aren't associated with the banned editor - so that if
>> others are also following him about, they don't accidentally revert a
>> good edit. It's a bit more work for me, but hopefully means less work
>> for others.

>Banned editors are disallowed from editing.  However, banned editors
>still hold copyright over their own words.  If you revert their good
>contributions and then re-post their own words under your name, you
>might be seen as illicitly taking credit for their work.

In the general case, it's GFDL, it's still in the history, and if what
you said was a serious concern then no-one would ever refactor or
merge an article. In the specific case, if you look you'll see the
edits are minor maintenance edits.

Although mailing list threads go all over the place, note of a serious
problem vandal is probably not the place to go randomly riffing on
spurious concerns that would completely invalidate how Wikipedia
actually functions; you could at least change the subject line.

- d.