[WikiEN-l] Tracking banned user Andrew Morrow

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:37:21 UTC 2006

"Karl A. Krueger" <kkrueger at whoi.edu> wrote in message
news:20060215223318.GA4712 at whoi.edu...
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 05:29:15PM +0000, David Gerard wrote:
>> So if I revert all and remake the good edits, the good edits stay in
>> Wikipedia but aren't associated with the banned editor - so that if
>> others are also following him about, they don't accidentally revert a
>> good edit. It's a bit more work for me, but hopefully means less work
>> for others.
>
> Banned editors are disallowed from editing.  However, banned editors
> still hold copyright over their own words.  If you revert their good
> contributions and then re-post their own words under your name, you
> might be seen as illicitly taking credit for their work.

"If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly or redistributed by
others, do not submit it."

Dude, the words have been submitted under the GFDL. Provided that DG notes
in his edit summary that he is restoring a good edit by a bad editor, the
number of legs upon which a claim might stand rapidly approaches zero.

Which way round do you want it? Do you want all edits by a bad editor to be
removed, even if they contribute good information? Or do you want even their
bad edits to be left alone?

HTH HAND
--
Phil