[WikiEN-l] Repeated vandalism?

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 20:07:09 UTC 2006

On 2/14/06, Matt Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve, he wasn't blocked for his own actions, but because Fred Bauder
> placed a range block on a whole /16. From Special:Ipblocklist:

I've never been quite sure about how blocks affect registered users. I
gather consensus is that it should work like this [1]:

1. User A in IP range x has an account
2. User B in IP range x does not have an account
3. User B vandalises
4. IP range x is blocked
5. User A can still edit, user B can't.
6. User B cannot create an account.

In other words, registered users should only be blocked by the user
name itself being banned. Preventing blocked IP addresses creating
accounts stops the obvious loophole.

I also gather that it doesn't quite work like this. Anyone know how it
actually works, and why it doesn't work as described?

[1] consensus = I think it should work like that, and I recall seeing
one post somewhere once that agreed with me :D

Steve