[WikiEN-l] Re: U. S. weather

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Tue Feb 14 01:34:05 UTC 2006

Sure, there are some states where the weather is fairly uniform.
Still, even a dinky little state like Massachusetts has _very_
significant differences in weather; the eastern end is on the coast
and the western end is 140 miles inland. You don't think of Wisconsin
as a big state, yet Northern Wisconsin is significantly colder than
Southern Wisconsin, and there are differences in the native plant and
animal species because of it.

California is smaller than Texas in area but is huge in its linear
extent: almost 800 miles from north to south; and it has huge
differences in elevation.

When I visited Texas I was interested to see that the newspapers and
television stations give five separate weather reports for different
regions.