[WikiEN-l] Hidden text spam and low traffic wikis...

Jay Converse supermo0 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 03:56:08 UTC 2006

On 2/12/06, Gordon Joly <gordon.joly at pobox.com> wrote:

> I have started a few wikis (using Mediawiki, and kept up to date) and
> I have found that we are being spammed, about once every ten days.
> Usually links to drug (pharmaceuticals) sales sites in hidden text.
> These wikis are very low traffic but are linked from Metawiki at:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sites_using_MediaWiki
>
> I have also noticed a wiki that has been set up and the WikiSysop has
> no idea how to actually build content in the site. So, what does he
> get? Spam! No content, nothing. Just spam.
>
> It would seem WikiSysops should be made aware of their
> responsibilities, when Mediawiki software is installed. Should theyt
> have to pass a test? It is great that installation is so easy, but
> that lowers the threshold of a potential WikiSysop admin to be
> verging on the almost clueless.

This is like saying that before a person is allowed to install vBulletin on
their site, they need to take a test to make sure they know which kinds of
users should be banned and what kind of forums should be made.  You can't
force people to take a test to use software, they can use it however they
see fit, whether they have a clue or not.

--
Jay Converse
I'm not stupid, just selectively ignorant.