[WikiEN-l] Boston Globe: "Bias, sabotage haunt Wikipedia's free world"

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 12 12:57:57 UTC 2006

--- "Daniel P. B. Smith" <wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com> wrote:
> There is a discrepancy between what WIkipedians know Wikipedia to be
> and what outsiders think it is.
>
> They think it's an encyclopedia.

That might be because we call ourselves "Wikipedia -- the free encyclopedia"
;-)

I agree with your main point, though. We could consider making
[[Wikipedia:Researching with Wikipedia]] more prominent. Wikipedia is quite
unique as a resource, and it's not immediately intuitive how to make the best
use of it. We push lots of editing tutorials at newbies (which is good and
proper, as we want to encourage people to edit as much as possible), but it
wouldn't hurt to help out the silent, read-only majority as much as we can.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com