[WikiEN-l] [[WP:PROD]] - a lightweight deletion process

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 16:50:46 UTC 2006

On 2/11/06, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/11/06, SJ <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Mistakes happen via AFD all the time; results should not be immutable;
> > and the system is very far from perfect.  That said, it is better than
> > a random process
>

> I agree. I don't think anyone is suggesting that we should do deletion
> randomly.
>
> > There is no good reason to treat deletion differently than any other
> edit.
> >
> > Any process which involves dozens of people over the course of a week
> > should naturally be treated differently, and reversed more slowly,
> > than a single edit by a single user.   This applies equally to AfD
> > results and to FPC/FAC selections.
>

> I'm sorry, I think you misunderstand me. I mean that deletion itself
> should
> be done like any other edit, and not through any process like AFD. Since
> this PROD deletion system is closer to the simplicity that I consider
> ideal,
> I endorse it. But I think it could be improved even further.
>
> Ryan

If deletion was done like any other edit, we would have to somehow stop
wheelwarring about deletion (which is now greatly confined). There'd be
people deleting articles about Penises and certain Cartoons just because
they disagree with it. I find a tag on the article a lot less intrusive than
finding an article deleted by one user's whim. The opinion of one user is
hardly representative of the community.

The whole point that the actual deletion button is given to admins is that
they know the deletion guidelines and are supposed to be trusted members. If
deletion/invisibility  powers were given to anyone, we'd end up with a mess
- useful articles deleted because one person didn't like them. And then
there's the strain on the server when substantially large articles get
deleted and undeleted multiple times.

Mgm