[WikiEN-l] Arbcom has completely lost its mind

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Feb 11 16:44:18 UTC 2006

Matt Brown wrote:
> You don't have a userpage in order to exercise any "right" to free
> speech, but because it helps the project; it aids communication and
> makes people happy.  You never did have the right to say anything you
> pleased there; disruptiveness has always been unacceptable.
>
> There's nothing particularly new about that proposed finding.

Also very well put.  We've always been quite relaxed about such thing,
even to the point of putting up with blatant trolling from people like
SPUI because he's so sweet and cuddley. ;-)

But Wikipedia is not a free homepage provider.

There's no simple formula that can tell us where to draw the line on
various things, but we have looooong experience now to show that good
people can agree to disagree and will, quite naturally, adjust their
behavior for the good of the project and for the desire of harmonious
relations with others.

Irritating people like to be as obnoxious as possible to prove various
dubious points about free speech and having a tolerant culture.
Sometimes they'll cross the line, and sometimes they won't.  The rest of
us can try to be kind to them and hope they get bored with it as much as
possible.

The _last_ thing we need is a detailed legal formalism within the
project about what is acceptable.  I just ask people to, you know, knock
it off and try (a) not to annoy people and (b) not to be too annnoyed by
others.

We have important work to do. :)