[WikiEN-l] More editing of user pages, please (was Arbcom has completely lost its mind)

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 15:49:51 UTC 2006

On 2/9/06, Kat Walsh <mindspillage at gmail.com> wrote:
> some nation shouldn't exist, that some other user is a menace to the
> project -- all of which I have seen in the past few weeks -- start an
> argument that no one else can respond to, because it's on your user
> page that no one can touch.

This is an excellent point that deserves repeating somewhere. Starting
an argument on your userpage is wrong because it can't be rebutted.
Therefore you shouldn't have anything on your userpage which
constitutes a starting point for an argument. "I am a Catholic"
satisfies that, but "George Bush is dumb" doesn't.

I like this as a dividing line. No opinions, basically. Objective
facts about yourself, but no opinions which people might disagree
with. It's just not the place.

Steve