[WikiEN-l] More editing of user pages, please (was Arbcom has completely lost its mind)

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 10:21:29 UTC 2006

On 2/9/06, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> It makes people happy for a reason. It gives them their own little corner on
> the site which is "theirs". If anyone was able to edit my userspace, it
> would no doubt kill the formatting I like so much, and who is to say the
> links I need to work effectively will remain?
> If editing of userpages wasn't discouraged, who says we wouldn't get more
> disputes (which are now confined to other  pages). If there's things clearly
> unacceptable for userpages like rants, attacks, and certain disruptive
> things, we should simply state those outright and take action against those
> who break those rules.

By the same token, we should feel free to edit user pages when they
cross certain boundaries. Preferably clearly defined ones.

Editing other people's user pages at other times doesn't seem to have
much benefit. If someone writes on their page their beliefs and
standards (as Jimbo does), and someone else edits that, what does the
page mean afterwards?

Steve